- Set up your Apple TV
- Use the Remote app
- Control your Apple TV with Siri
- Use AirPlay
- Connect to a TV or audio receiver
Here’s a guide on how to get the most out of your new Apple TV, including how to set it up, how to use Siri, how to use apps, and more.
Checkout this video:
Set up your Apple TV
Before you can use your Apple TV, you need to set it up. First, you’ll need to connect your Apple TV to your TV. Once it’s connected, you’ll need to set up your Wi-Fi network. Once your Wi-Fi network is set up, you’ll need to sign in with apple id After you’ve signed in, you start using your Apple TV.
Connect your Apple TV to your television
To set up your Apple TV, you need to connect it to your television. If you have an HDTV, you can use an HDMI cable. If you don’t have an HDTV, you can use an AV cable.
To connect your Apple TV to your television using an HDMI cable:
1. Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the back of your Apple TV.
2. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your television.
3. If you have an HDTV, you can also connect the audio from your Apple TV to your television using a Toslink optical audio cable. Just connect one end of the Toslink cable to the Optical Audio Port on the back of your Apple TV, and connect the other end of the cable to the optical input on your television or receiver.
To connect your Apple TV to your television using an AV cable:
1. Connect one end of the yellow video component cable to Video Out on the back of your Apple TV.
2. Connect one end of a red component video cable to PrPb on the back of your Apple TV.
3. Connect one end of a green component video cable to Y on the back of your Apple TV..
4. Connect each of those cables to their respective inputs on your television or receiver..
5. Connect one end of a white audio component cable (left)to Audio Out Left on .the back ofyourAppleTV 6 .Connectoneendofaredaudio componentcable(right)toAudioOutRightonthebackofyourAppleTV 7 .Connecteachofthecables tothespeakersinyourtelevisionorreceiver
Set up your Wi-Fi network
If you don’t see the option to set up your Apple TV over Ethernet, you can set it up over Wi-Fi:
1. Connect your Apple TV to your TV.
2. Wait for your Apple TV to start up.
3. Select Settings from the main menu.
4. Select Network.
5. Select Wi-Fi (Ethernet if you’re connected to a network using an Ethernet cable).
6.Choose your Wi-Fi network and enter the password, if required.
Set up your Apple TV account
Go to Settings > Accounts > Apple TV and enter apple id and password. If you don’t have an Apple ID, you can create one.
After you sign in, your Apple TV automatically downloads any apps that you already own and are compatible with your device. If you turned on Automatic Downloads on another device, your apps will update automatically.
Use the Remote app
Use the Remote app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
With the Remote app, you can control your Apple TV or iTunes Library on your computer. You can also use the Remote app to control ipod touch iPhone, or iPad as an external speaker for your Apple TV.
The Remote app is available for free on the App Store.
If you have an iPhone 7 or later, you can use the Remote app to control volume on your television set or A/V receiver. You might need to adjust the volume on your Apple TV or audio device after you choose a new input.
To browse apps with the Remote app, use the touchpad. To select an item, click the Touch surface.
Use the Remote app on your Apple Watch
You can use the Remote app on apple watch to control your Apple TV. With the Remote app, you can browse content, enter text, and even play games on your Apple TV.
To use the Remote app on apple watch
1. Pair apple watch with your iPhone.
2. Open the Remote app on your iPhone.
3. Select your Apple TV from the Devices list.
4. Enter the 4-digit code that appears on your television screen.
5. Use the touchpad or Siri to control your Apple TV from your wrist!
Control your Apple TV with Siri
To use Siri, hold down the TV button on the Siri Remote until you see the Siri waveform on your Apple TV. Then just ask Siri to do something — like play a specific show or movie, open an app, look for a specific actor or director, fast forward or rewind, and more.
You can also ask Siri to search for movies and TV shows by genre, year, cast member, and more. Just say something like “Show me some great comedies from the ’80s” or “Find that new episode of Grey’s Anatomy with Patrick Dempsey.”
If you’re a music fan, you can ask Siri to play any song, album, artist, playlist, or genre that you want. You can also ask Siri to play music from specific apps like Pandora or iHeartRadio. Just say something like “Play my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify” or “Play ’80s hits on Pandora.”
If you have an Apple TV, you can use AirPlay to wirelessly stream audio, video, and photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your TV. You can also use AirPlay to mirror your device’s display on your TV.
Use AirPlay with iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
To use AirPlay with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you need one of these devices:
-iPhone 4s or later
-iPad 2 or later
-iPod touch (5th generation or later)
To see if your device supports AirPlay, go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff. If you don’t see the option, your device doesn’t support AirPlay.
iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR don’t include a Home button. To use Control Center with these models, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
Use AirPlay with Mac
With AirPlay, you can wirelessly stream audio, video, and photos from your Mac to your TV or audio system.
To use AirPlay, you need one of these:
-An Apple TV connected to a television
-An AirPort Express connected to an audio system or other device that has an audio input port
Your Mac and Apple TV or AirPort Express must be using the same Wi-Fi network. If you’re not sure which network to use, ask your network administrator or check your device’s documentation.
Use AirPlay with music
Open iTunes and play some music. Look for the AirPlay icon in the playback controls . Click the icon, then click your Apple TV or other device. If you don’t see the AirPlay icon , mouse over the playlist pane to reveal it.
To stop streaming music from your Mac, click in the playback controls , then click .
Use AirPlay with video
Open iTunes and play a movie or another video. Look for in the playback controls . Click , then select your Apple TV as an output device. Video will automatically play on your television set.
Use AirPlay with Windows PC
Windows PC: You can use AirPlay to wirelessly stream audio and video from your Windows PC to your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV.
Here’s what you need:
-An Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) with the latest tvOS software installed
-A Windows PC with iTunes for Windows 12.5.5 or later installed
To start streaming, open iTunes on your Windows PC and click the AirPlay icon in the upper-left corner. Then, select your Apple TV from the drop-down menu.
If you don’t see your Apple TV, make sure that both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network and that AirPlay isn’t restricted on either device. If you still don’t see your Apple TV, try restarting it.
Connect to a TV or audio receiver
If you want to watch movies or TV shows from iTunes, the Apple TV App, or third-party apps, you can use your Apple TV to connect to a television or audio receiver. You can also use your Apple TV to play music from Apple Music or your iCloud Music Library. Let’s get started.
Connect to a TV or audio receiver with HDMI
To connect to a TV or audio receiver, you need a standard HDMI cable.1 Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your Apple TV, and connect the other end to the HDMI port on your TV or audio receiver. If you have an audio receiver, you can also connecting using an optical digital audio cable instead of HDMI.
Connect to a TV or audio receiver with optical audio
You can use an optical audio cable (sold separately) to connect Apple TV to a sound system or AV receiver that has an optical audio input. The optical audio port is located on the right side of your Apple TV.
1. Unplug any HDMI cables from your Apple TV.
2. Plug one end of an optical audio cable into the optical audio port on your Apple TV.
3. Plug the other end of the optical audio cable into an optical (TOSLINK) input on your sound system or AV receiver.*
4. If you’re using a sound system or AV receiver that doesn’t have HDMI, you can also connect it to your TV with an HDMI cable (sold separately). Just connect one end of the HDMI cable to your TV and the other end to the sound system or AV receiver’s HDMI input.