Here’s a quick and easy guide on how to connect your Apple TV to WiFi without the remote.
Checkout this video:
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network without using a remote
If you’ve lost your Apple TV remote or it’s not working, you can still connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network. Just follow these steps:
1. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Network.
2. Select your Wi-Fi network from the list of available networks.
3. Enter the password for your Wi-Fi network, if prompted.
4. Once your Apple TV has connected to the Wi-Fi network, you can use the Apple TV Remote app on your iOS device or the Remote app on your Mac to control it.
If you can’t connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network
If you can’t connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network, try these steps:
1. Check your network’s router, modem, and gateway
2. Verify that your network supports Apple TV
3. Check for interference
4. Update your Wi-Fi router
5. Restart your Apple TV and router
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using a remote
If you’re setting up your Apple TV for the first time or moving it to another Wi-Fi network, you need your remote to complete the process. Here’s how:
1. Connect your Apple TV to your television and plug it in.
2. Using your remote, navigate to Settings > Network.
3. Select your Wi-Fi network from the list of available networks and enter the password, if prompted. Once you’ve successfully joined the network, you’ll see a checkmark next to the network’s name.
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using Ethernet
If you’re using an Ethernet connection, your Apple TV will connect automatically to your network after you plug it in.
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using Bluetooth
If you’re setting up your Apple TV for the first time and your remote is lost or broken, you can use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to set up your Apple TV.
Here’s what you need:
– A Bluetooth-enabled iOS device running iOS 12.2 or later
– An Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD running tvOS 12.2 or later
To connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using Bluetooth:
1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is on.
2. Bring your iOS device and Apple TV close together. If you’re using an iPhone 7 or later, make sure that your phone is near enough to your Apple TV that they share the same Wi-Fi network. If you can’t find the same Wi-Fi network, try using another iOS device that’s connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV.
3. On your iOS device, go to Settings > general > Remote on your Apple TV and select Add a Remote. If you don’t see the Remote option in Settings, chances are that you’re not connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV. Try steps 1–3 again.
4. A four-digit code appears on your iOS device and on your television screen (or if you’re using an iPhone 7 or later, a notification appears on both devices). Enter the code on your iOS device when prompted and tap Done .
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using a USB-C cable
If your Apple TV is in range of your Wi-Fi network but unable to connect for some reason, you can try using a USB-C cable to connect it to your router directly. This should give your Apple TV the boost it needs to connect wirelessly. Here’s how:
1. Plug one end of a USB-C cable into your Apple TV and the other into your Mac or PC.
2. On your computer, open iTunes and select Preferences from the iTunes menu.
3. Select the Devices tab and check the “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically” box.
4. Connect your Apple TV to your computer using the USB-C cable.
5. In iTunes, select your Apple TV from the Devices list and click Restore.
6. When asked, select Restore from a Previous Backup or Set Up as New Apple TV.
7. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the restore process.
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using a Micro-USB cable
If you’re using an Apple TV (3rd generation), you can connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using a Micro-USB cable.
First, make sure that your Apple TV and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network.
Then, connect your Apple TV to your computer using a Micro-USB cable.
Open iTunes on your computer, and then select your iOS device from the list of devices in the iTunes Library.
Click Summary, and then click Restore.
When prompted, click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your Apple TV to its factory settings.
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using an HDMI cable
If you’re setting up your Apple TV for the first time, make sure that your HD or 4K TV is turned on and connected to an HDMI input. If you see the Apple TV home screen, your Apple TV is ready to use.
To connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network:
1. Connect one end of an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your Apple TV and the other end to an HDMI port on your HD or 4K TV.
2. If you’re using an ethernet cable to connect to the internet: Plug one end of an ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on your Apple TV and the other end into an ethernet port on your router, modem, or network switch.
3. On your remote, press and hold Menu and Volume Up (or Volume Down) at the same time until your remote begins flashing white. If you don’t have a remote or can’t find it, press and hold Menu and Play/Pause for 3 seconds instead.
4. Select Settings from the top row of options in the main menu. You might need to swipe left or right first to see all of the options in the main menu.
5. Select Network from under Settings in the main menu.
6. Select Wi-Fi from under Network in the main menu, then select a Wi-Fi network from under Choose a Network… If you don’t see any Wi-Fi networks listed, it might mean that there’s something wrong with your Wi-Fi router or modem, or that there isn’t a Wi-Fi network in range of your Apple TV that you can connect to. Contact your Internet service provider (ISP) if you need help with this step.
7. Enter a password when prompted, then select Join (or Done). If you don’t know your password—or if it’s been changed since you originally set up predecessor models like AirPort Time Capsule—try these tips for connecting without a password: Use iCloud Keychain; Use another iOS device that’s already connected; Connect manually using 30-second setup; Get help from someone who does know the password; Restore default settings (which deletes all customizations), then set up again using method in this article; Update firmware on earlier Apple TVs (4th generation or earlier).
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using an optical audio cable
If you can’t find your remote or you don’t have an infrared receiver, you can connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using an optical audio cable.
First, make sure that your Apple TV and your TV are turned on and that your Apple TV is connected to your TV with an optical audio cable.
Next, open the Settings app on your Apple TV and go to the Network settings.
Then, select the Connect Via option and choose Optical Audio Cable.
Enter the password for your Wi-Fi network when prompted and then select Join.
How to connect your Apple TV to a Wi-Fi network using an AV cable
With your Apple TV unplugged, connect one end of an AV cable to the HDMI port on your Apple TV, and connect the other end to the HDMI port on your television.
Plug in your Apple TV power cord, and make sure that it’s plugged into an electrical outlet.
On your television, switch to the input that you connected your Apple TV to. You should see the Apple TV Home screen appear after a few seconds.
On your computer, open iTunes and make sure that it’s signed in with your Apple ID (the same one you use with your other devices). If you’re not signed in, click Sign In in the upper-right corner of the iTunes window then enter your credentials.
Open Preferences from the iTunes menu bar, then click Devices. Check Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically is checked. This will ensure that any content you sync won’t be erased when you connect your device to iTunes later.
Click Summary in the sidebar on the left side of iTunes then click Check for Updates in the right pane. If there are updates available for Apple TV software or tvOS, select Install All Updates or Update if prompted about individual updates then follow any additional instructions provided on screen until installation finishes. After installation has completed successfully, click Done in the upper-right corner of the window then click Quit iTunes from either the Apple menu bar item drop down menu or by pressing Command+Q on your keyboard if using a Mac or Control+Q if you’re using a Windows PC.)
With these basic requirements out of they way lets move on and look at how to connect an iPhone or iPad to an Apple TV without using a remote control by utilizing Swift Playgrounds app which is available for free from the App Store.